Saturday, November 14, 2009

Here we are


Close to the holidays again. Mom seems frail...somewhat forgetful. I try to do my best, but she continues to be a challenge.

I just got back from taking her some homemade chili for her dinner. Also dropped off some homemade buttermilk pancakes. The only meal she really cooks is breakfast. Otherwise, it is microwaving a dinner or boiling a hot dog. I try and take her out to eat at least once a week.

Friday night we did dinner out and shopping. I think that is more than she can handle now. By the time we got home she was whimpering and not making much sense.


It is hard to believe that she has lived more than 2 years past Dad's death. She can't believe it either, but she also fears death.

I think she is coming to our house for Thanksgiving dinner. She was resistant at first because there was a possibility that some friends would be here as well. That didn't come together. In the meantime, she asked my brother if she could come to his house and got a resounding NO. She was upset by that, but has rebounded enough to now decide to have dinner with us. She stirs up drama like this every year.

The other news is that we are taking a break...going to New York City for 5 days in early December. My job ends Nov. 19. I am going to have reconstructive foot surgery in January. I'll be on crutches for 4-6 weeks. We will have to come up with some alternatives for taking care of Mom.

No comments: