Saturday, March 13, 2010

Caregiver's lament

The statistics prove my current reality. Caregivers of elderly parents are predominately the daughters or daughter in the family.

My brother has now decided that he cannot come over to Mom's except on holidays. This is laughable. He won't come over on any holiday. He won't even come over to take her garbage out any longer. He has just walked away and left me with all the responsibility of taking care of my 90 year old mother.

Anger, the unfairness of life...the selfishness of it all just twist me into a rage.

I have been left in the middle of this elderly desert with nothing but the grim task ahead of dealing with an elderly parent who is getting weaker and weaker physically and more difficult psychologically every day.

I just hope that I can do this without my own health being compromised.

I did notice my agitation level rising this morning when Mom was on the phone. She only wants to talk about my brother and how he is getting his "'head on straight". I could not care less about his head or anything else associated with his self centered life.

So...perhaps I will send him an email and thank him for taking on the task of visiting Mom on Easter this year...and see how that goes.

No comments: