Friday, October 15, 2010

Memory holes


Mom is an odd combination of really sharp and very forgetful. I can explain the same thing to her several times and we always end up at the beginning of the conversation as if we had not been talking at all. I am not altogether sure if she is fully processing information or she finds it impossible to retain anything.

She has been kind of exhausting in the last several weeks. It took me three visits to get her the right shirt last week. She buys things and then can't figure out how to use them....and of course, wants me to return the item. Grocery shopping has gotten a bit harder because the has a harder time maneuvering the cart and often doesn't have much of a sense of what she even wants to buy.

Today she bought a giant cake, Halloween candy, two bags of chocolate covered peanuts and two bags of cookies. She also bought other things that were more nutritious such as frozen meals, milk, ham lunch meat and bananas.

I am feeling pretty exhausted with her because she is always so critical of my life and my family. She will never be supportive of me as a lesbian, nor will she ever acknowledge that Pamela and our daughter are my family. At 56 I am pretty fed up with all of this....and the holidays are coming...so this will all come up once again.

I am getting worn out by Mom and really don't know how much longer I can deal with her. She has the kind of personality that drives people away from her and right now I just need a break from her.

No comments: