Thursday, July 21, 2011

No Doctors!


I asked Mom recently if she wanted to go to the doctor. She said "NO DOCTORS"!!! She also refused to consider going into a nursing home where her needs could be taken care of 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Mom is in a new stage. She sleeps almost all the time. She says her legs are weak. She seems to have little or no ability to prepare food. I have been going over once or twice a day to heat up food, prepare salads, and do laundry and dishes. The edema in her legs is worse. She has a cough. It feels like she is less and less present.

Watching this is hard for me. I try to stay focused on what it is that I can do to help her or improve her day. Sometimes just preparing a meal for her helps. Sometimes vacuuming the apartment makes her feel better. I straighten out her bed clothes and try to make sure that her pillows are stacked up. Tonight I had to convince her to change into her nightgown and get into bed. She just laid there all curled up.

I will go back tomorrow morning to make her breakfast and try to get her comfortable for the day.

No comments: