Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Morphine





Mom is on morphine every hour as needed.  Her cough from the Congestive Heart Failure is really terrible.  Mom is now in bed all the time and is dosed with liquid morphine every hour.  This is to keep her comfortable.

She lays in bed and tries to get out.  She moans a bit and picks at her gown.  They have her moored inside a pillow barrier to keep her safe.  Mats are on either side of her bed in case she does manage to get out and then fall.  She opens her eyes a bit, but mostly seems out of it.  I sit and hold her hand, or wipe her face.  I tell her I love her.  I see her twice a day and always leave the nursing home drained and exhausted.

She seems a little agitated despite the Atavan.  She has eaten nothing since Monday.  Her breathing is labored.  I have no idea when she will die, but I am sure that this is the final stage.  I wish I could see her smile just once more...but it seems that Mom is not going to reappear.

This is a photo I took of Mom on Monday.   I had come out to the nursing home to fill out the Hospice paperwork.  She wanted to go to a musical event that was happening that day in the dining room.  It was an accordion concert for Octoberfest.  The activities staff served German Chocolate cake, sausage and sauerkraut and Martinelli's cider.  Mom tried to eat a little bit of the cake and sausage...but mostly left her plate full.  She did drink a little Martinelli's.  I am glad I have one final photo of her smiling.




Genevieve Eleanor Corliss.....we are on our final journey together...and already I miss you.

No comments: