Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Monday, March 10, 2008

We managed to get Mom through her 88th birthday on Saturday, March 1, 2008. We took over a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken, potatoes, gravy and coleslaw. She was thrilled to be eating fried chicken...something she has not had for several months. Pamela and I decided that this worked so well that we would try and bring her a dinner like this more often. I also gave her a card that she loved and a box of sugar free chocolates.

I flew to San Francisco with a friend the next morning. My brother Mark had agreed to come over early in the week to have lunch with her. I checked in on Mom a couple of times each day while I was gone. I could tell that my physical absence and her long hours alone were taking a toll on Mom. I arrived back in Seattle on Wednesday night, March 5th and was out at Mom's apartment the next afternoon.

She has been talking lately about her wishes after she passes away. She specifically told me yesterday that she does not want a memorial service. She also told me that she didn't think she could possibly last much longer. This morning she told me that Dad was waiting for her. I don't really know if this is a form of grieving or if she has a premonition about her own death. I will just continue to do what I can to make things a little easier for her.

Getting away for a few days was really great...seeing new sights, eating out at good restaurants, seeing the Annie Leibovitz show in San Francisco....all of it helped restore my energy and perspective.

No comments: