Thursday, September 25, 2008

Walk and roll

I took Mom to the mall today in the transport chair that a friend at work gave me a couple of weeks ago. It is light weight, easy to lift in and out of the car, collapses so it is easy to store...basically gives Mom pop up and go mobility. She wanted to look for shoes and purses. We did our usual rounds of all the various places she likes to go...mostly Macy's and Penney's. She tried on a couple of pairs of shoes...but they were too wide for her foot. The purses were all too big and too expensive.

After getting her back to the car we headed to MacDonald's for lunch. She loves her chocolate milkshakes. She also had a double hamburger and a few fries. Afterwards, we drove across the street to Safeway and got her a power cart so she could go around the store picking out her groceries.

Mom seemed a little down on herself today. She is worried that she is going to loose the ability to use her legs. She does get very tired whenever we go out now...even though she is sitting the entire time...either in the car, in the wheelchair or in the power cart at the store. I told her that given her age she is actually in a lot better shape than a lot of people.

Once I got her home and unloaded the groceries, I made her some fresh coffee. I fixed her Pocket Talker by putting in some new batteries. I gave her a big hug and then took off to do some of my own errands.

I will be back Sunday to cook Mom dinner.

It is so hard to leave her there in the doorway. She looks so little, so sad, so lost.

ARGH!

No comments: