Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saturday, July 5, 2008


I spent time with Mom yesterday morning. Mark took over the Thursday morning visit for me this week. I thought Mom sounded a little upset on the phone Thursday night, but didn't find out why until Friday morning at breakfast. Mark has basically yelled and cursed her out the day before when he was there to help with her shopping. Mom has this habit of asking lots of questions....about our lives, our finances, etc. I find this a little disconcerting sometimes because I really don't want to discuss my finances with Mom. She tends to quiz my brother about his children. His oldest son, Danny, had talked to Mom on the phone one day and gave her the information that his younger brother Josh was living with his girlfriend. This is just the kind of information that sets Mom off. I know she said something that pissed Mark off..believe me, I have been in the same place with her many times. She told him that we didn't want any Catholics in the family....assuming that Josh's girlfriend is Catholic. How she made this connection is beyond me...as I have never met the girl.

Mark basically told her that his children don't know her...which hurt her feelings. She and Dad have been sending gifts and money to all three kids for over 20 years. The only reason that Mark's kids don't know their grandparents well is because Mark and his wife have never really allowed them in their lives. Mom feels that she is just going to stop giving gifts and money. I know she tries to control people in any way she can, including giving or withholding money. However, if Mark really didn't want his children to be around Mom and Dad he should never have allowed the kids to accept the money.

Mom said that Mark acted "crazy' on Thursday. Well...the fruit never falls far from the tree. I have long believed that Mom and Mark are a lot alike....and that is why they can't get along. Dad and I often laughed about it and agree that they were two peas in a pod. Mark definitely has some issues that he has not worked out around Mom. She is a challenge...no doubt about it. I just try to do what I can and step away when it gets to be too much.

No comments: