Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shopping at Northgate

Mom wanted to go shopping last Sunday at Northgate, an enclosed mall in Seattle. They have a kiosk there where I can borrow a wheelchair, so that makes it somewhat easier...or rather it would have been easier if the guy staffing the kiosk hadn't been 40 minutes late opening up. I had to flag down security and get them to make some calls before they were able to find the person who was supposed to be on duty. I had brought Mom in from the car after the first 20 minutes and left her seated on a sofa nearby. I finally got the wheelchair and we were off searching for all the things she was after.


Mom cannot go by a clothes sale rack to save her life...so there we were trying to get between all the racks with the wheelchair. We did find her a white coat on sale, a blouse, two pairs of pants and a bra. In each department I tried to cope with her desire to look at absolutely everything. At one point she started to cry because I was having trouble navigating in a tight space. These trips to the mall really wear me out...but it is one of the few activities that she is able to do now. After all the shopping, I took Mom down to the food court where we had fish and chips and some sodas. After lunch, she was ready to go...so I took her to the car, dropped off all the purchases, and then took the chair back.

Once we got home, she tried on everything...both to please herself and for me...if something didn't fit, I wanted to know it right away. Luckily, everything fit and she was happy with the day.

As I was driving home, I started to think that I just can't do these trips by myself much longer. She is a handful, the mall is pretty intense, and navigating is pretty stressful.

No comments: