Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve



Mom had decided that she will not come to our home for Christmas Day dinner. She says that it is just too much to ride in the car back and forth with all the snow. It is snowing again this morning....so unless we get lots of rain in the next 24 hours, it looks like Mom won't be with us.

In reality, Mom is afraid someone will get into her apartment and steal from her. She told me yesterday that someone had stolen one of the nightgowns I had given her on a previous Christmas out of the dryer in the laundry room. I told her that it possible because times are tough, but that I knew that no one was going into her apartment to steal things. I reminded her that everything of value that she owned was locked up in trunks or lockboxes. I even offered to bring her heavy lockbox over to the house on Christmas. No luck. She is not going to go for it. I finally just agreed with her and let it go.

I realize that she is never really totally attached to reality. I realize that she often misplaces things and thinks they have been stolen. I also realize that I am not willing to go around this particular bush anymore this holiday season.

It is a silent and snowy night here...May we find peace on Earth...and goodwill toward everyone.

No comments: