Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pay it forward


I had a chance last night to pay it forward with a young friend of mine...a teenager who reminds me a lot of myself. I paid it forward with her just as my Dad had paid it forward with me so many years ago when I was her age. By "pay if foward" I mean to do something right now that will help that individual both now and in the future as they go through life.

My Dad paid it forward by investing time, by talking with me, by his example in the world, in his ability to be goofy, by his willingness to share his faith, by sharing his political opinions, by attending every concert and graduation he could, by asking me how my car was running, by bailing me out more than once financially, by allowing me to see him at his most vulnerable as he approached his own death with grace and good humor. These are just of the few of ways that Dad paid it forward by investing in me in so many moments in my life.

Now it is my turn to pay it forward. Last night was one of those opportunities...to be honest, open, funny, sad, pragmatic, philsophical...with someone else. She may benefit from our similar experience in some small way. My reality is that I was given a wonderful roadmap from a man that I was lucky enough to call Dad. Now, I believe it is my turn to share my roadmap with others, giving full credit to the man that taught me to drive....both in a car and in life.

No comments: