Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday....Snow



It snowed last night ...six inches ...ice underneath by this morning. I made it to Mom's this afternoon by 1:15p.m. I stopped on the way to buy her some groceries because I am just not sure if I can make it out there with the way the weather is unfolding here.

I made dinner when I got there, took out the garbage and recycling and talked with Mom about her latest plan to manage my brother's life. She has it in her head that he needs snow tires. I tried to explain that we don't have that much snow here and that he may or may not want snow tires...all to no avail. She has it set in her mind and plans to gift the snow tires to him for his birthday in February. As I was leaving after washing and drying the dishes, she told me that she needed two prescriptions filled...so I called them in feeling kind of frustrated that she hadn't mentioned this on the phone when I called her earlier in the day. We got it all squared away and I picked up the big shopping bag of gifts she had for us and drove home. The drive was a bit scary in places but I finally got home about 5p.m.

I talked with a friend at church this morning who is also a primary caregiver for her brother and his wife. I told her than Mom is a fragile person who has a iron fist in a velvet glove. Her reality is often different from mine. It often takes me time to figure out what the heck she is talking about. She has a pretty strong life force in a body that is increasingly fragile. She struggles with her body and remembering things, but still rises to the occasion. She wrapped up all the presents but told me not to put them under the tree until Christmas Eve. As I left, she showed me the top of a fir tree that is in the shape of a cross. She sits and looks at that cross day in and day out. What it means to her I have no idea..because she never discusses her religious or spiritual thoughts.

All in all, it was a good visit. That counts for a lot these days.

No comments: