Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Church dinner


I took Mom to the new Wednesday night dinner and church service tonight. She has been looking forward to it since I invited her a week ago. Even thought she is profoundly deaf now, she still had a good time. She got to dress up, get out of the apartment, have a nice meal and be with other people. So many friends came up to greet her and talk with her...it was nice to have others interact with Mom.

She complained that she can't hear when people talk to her or follow the service. She gets embarrassed by her hearing loss. I told her that maybe listening wasn't so important for her. I suggested that perhaps just being out and having a meal with other people is what she could enjoy. She told me that she would be glad to go again if I invite her. I will do just that. It gives her something to look forward to every week.

Once we got back to her apartment, I helped her get undressed and ready for bed. The same routine has not varied since I first started helping her after Dad died in 2007. She has lost most of her modesty and allows me to undo her bra and help her take off her outfits. I always bring her overnight pants and nightgown and help her into them. It is easy to do this....which always surprises me. I thought it would be strange ....or uncomfortable for me. It is actually easy to help because I know it makes it easier for her at the end of the day.

It was a good evening with Mom. I am thankful it worked out.

No comments: