Monday, April 25, 2011

The same

Every day is the same. Mom calls me at some point and starts giving me a hard time about how I need to get down to the rehab facility/nursing home and take her back to her apartment. Her version of things has her able to walk unassisted, go to the bathroom without help, basically do everything she needs to do to live alone again. These calls are always difficult because I am now the bad guy, the person who is standing in her way. I try to explain that it is up to the doctors and the physical therapists to determine if she is capable of being on her own again. I find it really doubtful...but she is determined to get back to her apartment.

My challenge is not to let her take me down with her on this particular manipulative journey she is on. It is exhausting to have to been the one she is verbally abusing. I feel bad that she is having such a hard time ...but she has also not taken full advantage of this opportunity to rehab her hip and learn some new safety techniques.

Tomorrow, it will be the same again...the phone will ring and the conversation will repeat itself all over again. Just thinking about it makes me tired and full of despair.

No comments: