Sunday, August 17, 2008



This is a picture of Mom with her "Pocket Talker". It amplifies sound so that she can hear people speak, or hear the TV. Dad bought for it her in the fall of 2006.

Our phone call this morning was about the same...me asking her the same questions: how she is doing, what she had for breakfast, how she is feeling. Mom has decided to stop taking the pain medication she was given after she got shingles. She has determined that she gets a headache a half hour after she takes the pills. She also contends that the pills are making her brain soft...which of course is not true. She also feels that her skull is getting spongy. I told her that she would need to discuss all of this with her doctor. That started a conversation we have had at least three times in the last 12 hours....I need to call and make her an appointment with her doctor.

The behavior that I have the hardest time dealing with is the theatrical high wavering voice. I asked her about it last week...thinking that perhaps she doesn't hear herself because of her hearing loss. She had no idea that her voice was high....but the doctor says it is all voluntary. It grates on me like nails on a chalkboard....because I do think she knows exactly how she sounds..and that she is just being a manipulative drama queen. She will not change...but I have to keep dealing with it and writing about it helps me get it out in the air.

No comments: