Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Today marks the one month anniversary of Dad's death. I spent the day taking Mom to her opthamology appointment. Her eye is still bothering her due to shingles. She is doing ok, but still experiences pain. The doctor told her it may last for as long as 18 months. She also has some murkiness behind the lenses that was installed during her cataract surgery. We go back in a month for another appointment and to have Laser surgery on her eye.

I took Mom to breakfast after her appointment. I have noticed that her appetite is much better when she is out at a restaurant or if I eat with her at home. She ate a good breakfast of French toast and sausage with two cups of coffee. Afterwards we drove downtown so that I could file Dad's will with King County Superior Court. It felt like a non event to me..but all the while it also felt kind of surreal.

Mom wanted to go to the grocery store afterwards, so I drove her to her favorite Safeway. She loves getting those carts that you drive around the store. She is pretty good at maneuvering and I think it gives her a sense of independence. I loaded all the bags in the car, but Mom buckled up and then took her home. She wanted me to have lunch with her ...so while she got the chicken salad and coleslaw on the table, I boxed up Dad's books and put them in the closet.

After I left, I drove to the nearest library and finally found C.S. Lewis's book "A Grief Observed". While there, I had a long conversation outside the building with an old friend, David, who wanted to check in and see how everything was going here. Drove home after that, had dinner, watched a little TV and watered the garden. Now I am waiting for Pamela's call once she arrives from Boston. I will be glad to have her home...it has been kind of quiet around here without her presence.

No comments: