Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Pamela and I went out to have breakfast with Mom yesterday morning. She wanted to make waffles...so we helped with that and added some nice ham slices sauteed in butter and brown sugar. She seemed to enjoy the meal and told us all about when Dad bought the waffle maker and how he used to love to make waffles. Afterwards, we took her to the credit union so she could talk to the woman there she worked with before about her statement. The woman was very good at explaining everything to Mom and seemed to make her feel less anxious about her money situation. Next, we took Mom to Fred Meyer in Ballard so she could zoom around the store on once of the motorized carts picking out some items. After we got her home and put away the food, we took off to go see a movie.

Today I spoke with Mom from early morning until earlier this evening. I check in with her morning, noon and night. She seemed fine most of the day...even though she seems to be sleeping more. She sounded really groggy when I called her at 4:30pm.

I have difficulty staying patient with Mom sometimes...she says things that are totally unacceptable..like asking me if the friends we were planning on having lunch with today were black or white? I told her that was an unacceptable question and tried to steer the conversation in another direction. I know she has her idiosyncracies and biases just like anyone else..sometimes I deal with them better than at other times. I am feeling exhausted with the constant responsibility of looking out for Mom....but I know that is what I must do.

No comments: