Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday, August 16, 2007

I took Mom shopping today in Lynnwood. Does anyone remember the movie "Forget Paris" with Billy Crystal and Debra Winger? Her father comes to live with them...and when they drove him around he kept reading all the billboards and reciting the Toyota mantra "you asked for it, you got it Toyota!"? Well....my Mom does that. I think she is so thrilled to be out of the house and seeing new sites...that reading all the billboards out loud is a fun activity for her.

She needed to find some new pants and tops....so we got her one of the riding carts and off we went to the clothing dept. at WalMart....I know, I know..we are not supposed to shop at WalMart...but it is one place a elderly woman on a fixed income can buy a few things without going broke. It was a little hazardous though...because they don't have big enough aisles in the clothing dept. for those driving carts to pass through safely. At one point Mom was pushing one whole rack around while she tried to turn...I had too keep up with her to replace the racks and pick up the clothes that were flying off as she drove by. We found her exactly what she wanted, made our purchases and took off for the bank.

The woman at the bank was great...very patient and helpful in getting Mom a printout of her transactions over the last couple of weeks. Hopefully her monthly statement will arrive soon so she can reconcile her account.

Next, I took us to Shari's restaurant for lunch...my treat. We both had quiche, salad and fruit. Mom loved her lunch and was pleased with the whole experience. She topped off her visit to Shari''s by buying herself an apple pie. It is good to make sure that she has at least one really good meal a day. I know that it is hard for her to work up much enthusiasm when she is eating alone.

Our last stop of the day was the drugstore to pick up her prescription. That went smoothly as well...and off we went to her apartment. I laid all her new clothes out on the bed so she could try them on, kissed her goodbye and took off

Today was a good day with Mom...she got out and saw some new sites, got some new clothes..had a wonderful lunch and bagged an apple pie for herself. I wish every day with Mom could be like this. I will just have to enjoy the good days and be patient with her on the bad days.

No comments: