Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Went out to Mom's for breakfast this morning and then took her grocery shopping. I brought her some homemade muffins as she likes baked goods so much.

She seemed to do pretty well in the store...convinced her to try a few new items...steamed vegetables that can be done in a microwave and a new sub sandwich. She liked the ride to the store..even though there was snow and ice one the ground, the sun was shining and felt warm.

After I got us back to her apartment, I unloaded all the groceries..put everything away, went down to load money on her laundry card and put in a load of rugs to wash. Mark, my brother was expected for lunch, so I started making the spaghetti. Mom got kind of emotional while I was cooking...almost in tears as she told me how proud Dad would be of me.

Mark arrived on time, was his usual barely verbal self, and we all ate lunch together. Mom is just starved for news of his life and his family...so she asked him a bunch of questions about Josh, Danny and Lizzie. I asked a few questions myself at which point Mark got kind of miffed about all the questions. If he would just offer to be part of a conversation we wouldn't have to quiz him.

After he left, I cleaned up the kitchen, did the dishes and helped Mom retrieve a box to put all her Christmas decorations away in for the year. She got kind of emotional after Mark left....saying how much she hated it in Seattle..how she was going to go back to Arizona ...on and on and on. I finally told her that it was not possible for her to return to Arizona....that she was making a hard situation even harder for me. She said that she wasn't trying to make it harder....but that she was capable of being on her own. She then accused me of selling her car. I sold the car because we thought we would need the money to pay for Dad's care. I reminded her of this...and finally just told her that I thought she should spent some time relaxing and then put away her Christmas decorations.

After I left I just felt emotionally exhausted. I decided to go for a drive outside the city....just to get away for awhile. Tomorrow is a new day...I will check in with Mom in the morning.

God, grant me the patience, persistence and loving kindness to deal with this situation to the best of my ability.

No comments: