Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dad would have been 88 today....I woke up and decided to wear his shoes today as a way of keeping him close all day. I always wear his wedding ring which always make me think of him. Dad and I have the same basic physique..same size hands and feet. The more I look at myself, the more I see my Dad in my face. Most people would say I look like my Mom, but I am beginning to look more like my Dad as I age...especially the dimples that are turning into deeper facial lines.

I really missed Dad all day today. I am glad that we celebrated his last birthday here at the house. He wanted Pamela to make his favorite baked chicken dinner. It was kind of a low key birthday as I recall, but I was so happy to have him here in Seattle spending time with us.

Since Mom has been having a tough time all week and is feeling really alone, Pamela and I decided to get her out of the apartment and take her to dinner. She insisted on treating us, but the main objective was to keep her occupied for a few hours and having a little fun. At one point in the meal she even smiled and talked to another gentleman in the restaurant who was about her age. Imagine that...my Mom kind of flirting ....

I called her this evening and she was back to being teary about Dad being gone. I think that this first year with all the markers....all the firsts is going to continue to be hard for all of us.

No comments: