Thursday, May 5, 2011

Against medical advice

Mom left the rehab center tonight against medical advice. She signed some kind of release and made it out the door. The staff called me to come, but I refused to get caught up in her latest misbehavior. The police arrived and an officer called and tried to guilt trip me into coming down there with her keys. I told him that every medical person I have talked to in the last month, including her Dr. yesterday, told me that she was not ready to go home, would perhaps never be able to live alone again, and should in fact be in assisted living. The officer contended that this was not a police problem and that it in fact was my responsibility as her daughter. I ended the conversation after that jewel of a statement.

I tried calling the crisis clinic to get in contact with the Mental Health Professionals. I got a lot of sympathy and validation, but not much in the way of actual help. I was told that the MHP's, do work 24/7, but that they were not available for this kind of situation.

I had called her apartment manager to let him know that she may be showing up there. She did show up there and apparently told him that the staff at the facility had gotten cab fair together and sent her home. So much for any kind of reasonable discharge plan. It also appears that the staff didn't do any kind of competency testing before they let her walk out the door.

So...here we have a 91 year old woman who no one wants to deal with. She made it home..which has been her goal for a month. The bad news for her is that I cannot help her anymore since she alleged that I threw her down the stairs ...creating the broken hip situation.

I am totally emotionally exhausted with her, her health, her drama, her inability to do anything in a rational manner, and her complete and absolute narcissism. Tonight I am done with her. I have put my cell phone on silent and unplugged all the land lines.

The one good thing I did today was finalize her cremation and burial plans. I go to the bank tomorrow to get the money to pay it off. Perhaps one day she will finally rest in peace.

No comments: