Saturday, September 8, 2007

Saturday, September 8, 2007


I went over to pick up Mom this morning after dropping Pamela off at her jewelry making class. Mom wanted to go to the store and I wanted to take her to local Danish bakery for a treat and some coffee. We both made our selections...after looking over everything in the cases. We decided to get different things and then split them and share. Mom got a really moist nut muffin and I got a danish. Both were good. We sat and talked and had our snack before setting off for the store. Once we got to the store Mom found a cart that worked for her and off she went...she is getting pretty good at driving these battery powered carts. I think she likes it because it reminds her of the golf cart she once owned in Arizona ..."The Mean Jean". We zoomed around the store picking up various items that she wanted and then paid for everything, got the cart parked and then got everything into the car. Next stop...another store where grapes were on sale. Picked up the grapes and some Diet Coke for when my brother comes over...and then made it back to her apartment. I got everything upstairs, while making sure that Mom was walking ok. The water pills, the new support hose and the exercises all seem to be helping her quite a bit. Her ankles are so swollen and she says her legs feel better. I helped put everything away, told her I would be over again on Tuesday and then went to pick up Pamela.

We had decided to go to a vintage car show in Edmonds....have lunch and stroll around. It was a beautiful day, sunny with a nice breeze. We saw some really nice restored vehicles..my favorite was a Ford Fairlane Skyliner. While Pamela was waiting for some kettlekorn, I walked around the farmer's market and found a flat of raspberries for only $5 since it was the end of the day. I thought Mom would enjoy some fresh berries, so we dropped by her place on the way home. She was pleased with the berries and our surprise visit. She was going through her paperwork again ....I have no idea what she is doing with the paperwork or what it is, but it seems to be a recurring activity for her. I guess it makes her feel that she is doing something to manage her own life.

She told me today that Dad was thrilled when I was born. He loved being a Dad. I saw a movie the other day that brought him so close to me. It was "Broken English' with Parker Posey. She was walking down the street in New York City and a palm reader comes out of her shop and tells her that her father, who has passed away, misses her. She also says that Parker's character Nora was his favorite person in the world...and that he knows that she is lonely and has sent the palm reader to help her. It caught me by surprise...but this scene really sums up how I feel about my Dad...how he felt about me. I was his favorite person in the world..and he knows that I am missing him so much...and am lonely without him.

No comments: