Friday, May 11, 2007

Friday: May 11, 2007

A really long day at work...but I started and ended my work day with calls to my parents. I do a morning check in and a dinner time check in.

Dad continues to experience the nerve pain in his back. Mark went over today and then called me later to let me know how it is going. He said that Dad was having trouble feeding himself. I think this has more to do with the macular degeneration in his left eye than anything else. It is hard for him to aim his utensils when he essentially is blind in that eye. When I spoke to Dad he said he felt a little better...but that doesn't mean too much. He moved from the bed to the chair in the middle of the night. He needed help dressing again this morning.

Mom is still experiencing nerve pain from the shingles. She was able to talk to me for a longer time on the phone today. She had been thinking about what kind of dinner she wanted for Mother's Day. She requested a family style chicken dinner for the Alki Homestead. This is a great restaurant that I took them to several years ago. It is a good sign that she is feeling like having a special meal.

Part of what I do everyday is look for clues that let me know how their lives are going. I am getting better at understanding when they are really engaged and when they are not engaged. I know when they need me to move in and help...and when they want to do it themselves. I feel that we are engaged in a delicate dance of interdependence. I want them to be able to live on their own as long as possible. This last few months has been a real challenge for all of us....but we are taking it day by day and doing the best we can.

No comments: