Monday, May 7, 2007

Monday, May 7, 2007

Today started with the early ringing of the phone. Dad had made a doctor's appt. for 8:45am. He needed me to take him. I knew I wouldn't have enough time to get across the city in rush hour traffic, pick him up and get to the appt. in time. I called the Dr.'s office and said we would be late....they said they were 10 minutes behind schedule...but if we were later, we would have to reschedule. Dad told me the first time he went to this Dr. he had to wait an hour and a half. I just kept driving and got him there as quickly as I could in a safe manner. I dropped him off and then went to park the car. By the time I got to the office, he was already in an examining room. I sat down to wait ....keeping myself busy by reading a book.

When he came out of the doctor's office he had to schedule an appt. with a neurologist for next week. He has some numbness in his hands, but has not had a stroke. He is to treat his back pain with ice packs.

We stopped on the way home to get Mom's medicine and pick up some lunch. I made lunch while Dad changed into some shorts. Mom and I talked while I got lunch on the table. After lunch I made sure they had everything they needed, picked up the garbage, promised to see them tomorrow afternoon and left.

Headed south to my job merchandising cards at Target. Worked frantically to get the Mother's Day section back in shape ...it appeared to have been hit with a tornado of some force. Did what I could to straighten the rest of the non-holiday card stock, received the 2 boxes of other cards and headed home.

Long day...feeling pretty drained from this morning at the doctor's office. Dad appears so frail and vulnerable. Mom says that she is feeling better from the shingles that she has been battling. I have only seen her out of her robe and nightshirt once in the last month...so I am not really sure how she is doing. I wish they had made the choice to move into assisted living....but both of them were so against that option.

I am going to go to bed early, work for 3 hours in the morning, get my hair cut and then head back out to their apartment. I have to remember to pick up Mom's eyedrops on the way.

No comments: