Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Pamela and I both spent time cooking Saturday and Sunday so I would have delicious food to take out to Dad and Mom. I cooked a rhubarb crumble, Pamela did mashed potatoes, meatloaf and an asparagus quiche.

After picking up the groceries that they needed, I arrived at their apartment a little after 1pm today. I unpacked the groceries, put the potatoes and meatloaf in the oven to warm, boiled water for the corn on the cob and put two loads of clothes in to wash. We had a good dinner...again, Dad needed me to spoon food into his mouth. I bought him some straws so that drinking from a glass will be easier. Most of the time he can manage to pick up the glass..and the straw definitely made it easier for him to manage on his own. His appetite is good...he ate everything on his plate and then had a good serving of rhubarb crumble and real vanilla ice cream.

After dinner, I put the clothes in the dryer and then toweled off the dishes as Mom washed them. I sat her down after dinner and gave her the eyedrops she needs. I got Dad settled in his chair with the icebag and propped his feet up on the stool. His lower legs, ankles and feet are really swollen.

Mom and I talked while I was waiting for the clothes to dry. She said that both she and Dad realized that they were nearing the end of their lives. I told her we just need to keep focusing on what we can do to get both of them feeling better. She told me again how glad she was that I was helping them....and again, I told her I am happy to do it.

After I folded the clothes and put everything away, I told them both that I would be back at 7:45am tomorrow to pick Dad up for his CT Scan. I wrote out the instructions for him in large type and left them in plain view. He has to drink on bottle of barium at 6am and then drink 3/4 of the second bottle at 8am. I will bring him a travel mug so he can drink it on the way to the Polyclinic.

I know he is dreading this week of tests. I just need to stay focused on getting him through each appointment with a minimum of discomfort. I also need to get Mom to her eye doctor tomorrow.
I am feeling a little tired....but determined to make this week as easy as possible for Mom and Dad. They both really appreciated the home cooked food that I had brought to them today. I want to keep their spirits strong..and one sure way to do that is with food they like.

No comments: