Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day: May 13, 2007

Mother's Day. Talked to Mom this morning before going over the the Alki Homestead to pick up the family style chicken dinner she requested. She fell this morning in the dining room...breaking a chair and falling on her back pretty hard. She seemed pretty upset about it..but it was hard for me to tell if she was upset about hurting herself or upset about breaking the chair or both. She was able to get up and walk away from it and that is a good sign. I told her to take an Ibuprofen immediately.

When Pamela and I got there Dad was in pretty rough shape. He managed to get downstairs to open the door for us...but he hadn't been able to shave for a couple of days. I teased him and told him that he looked a lot like Hemingway...he got a kick out of that.

Pamela heated the food and served up the meal while I took out their garbage and got the laundry going. I ended up changing seats with Pamela so I could feed Dad. He was not able to manage the utensils. He enjoyed his dinner...finishing everything....especially the cupcakes Pamela had brought for the occasion. Mom also enjoyed her dinner and the cards that Dad and I got for her.

I finished the laundry and washed the dishes while Mom dried them and put them away. Also did a little vacuuming. Before I left, I took Dad into the bathroom and gave him a shave. He seems to really be more and more debilitated by the back pain.

I am going out Tuesday to take him to the appt. he has with his doctor. I am going to sit in on this appt. so I can get a better idea of what is going on with him.

Mom continues to have occasional bouts of nerve pain from shingles. She is still taking pills for this nerve pain and eyedrops and eye ointment for her eye. She is still not able to open her right eye. I put eyedrops in her eye twice while I was there today.

Pamela really feels that they need to be in assisted living. Mark has also mentioned this. I will probably have to be the one to bring this up..but I want to wait and see what happens at the appt. on Tuesday. If the current situation is the beginning of them not being able to take care of themselves....we will have to come up with a better and safer option than them living in an apartment.

No comments: