Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday, May 25, 2007

Dad made it through the brain and thoracic MRI Wednesday night. He was done about 6:30pm. I drove to a drive-in and got him a chocolate milkshake. He wouldn't eat dinner before the procedure, so I felt it was important to get something easy to digest into his stomach right away. He was pretty wiped out from the tests and just wanted me to get him home and into his pajamas. He decided to eat a bowl of cereal and take his vicodin. I got him comfortable in his chair and then took off.

I took Mom to her doctor yesterday. It was a check up for her shingles. She won't take the drug for nerve pain anymore, but she agreed to tell me if she was having a lot of pain. At that point, I will call her doctor and get her something to take. They also took blood and urine to check her diabetes. Her blood pressure and pulse were both good and her heart and lungs sounded fine. They did find that she has a UTI and prescribed some antibiotics. I took her home and got her settled and then had to race home to transmit my hours for work.

This morning I went back out to the pharmacy to pick up all of Mom's medications. I didn't have time to wait last night. On my way I stopped at Lowe's and bought them a safety rail that attaches to the side of the tub. I was a little nervous about Dad and Mom bathing and losing their balance. They have both fallen at least once apiece in the last 6 months. I don't want them to have to deal with broken hips. After I got it installed, I gave Dad a quick shave and talked to him for a few minutes. He is so tired....but his appetite continues to be good. Pamela is going to cook some more meals for me to take to them this weekend.

I am still in shock from what the oncologist said last week about Dad's pancreas. If he does have pancreatic cancer it is probably fairly well advanced. I am trying to stay in the moment..but it is tough. Sometimes I find myself just breaking down and crying. We will know more next Tuesday morning.

No comments: