Friday, June 1, 2007

Friday, June 1, 2007

Two new stages today. I gave Dad a shower and the three of us talked about Dad signing up for hospice care. He had it all figured out if Mom protested about having strangers in the house. He didn't have to tell her because she agreed to it before it came to this extreme...but his plan was to stop eating if she refused to let him have hospice care. Mom has never liked strangers coming into her house, but she understands that Dad is rapidly getting to a point where I won't be able to handle all of his needs. I am sad that this has happened so quickly, but thankful that it went as well as it did. We will discuss hospice care at his next doctor's appt. next Tuesday morning.

He was pretty tired today but managed to eat lunch and talk a little. He was glad to get a shower...I told him we were all glad that he had had a shower...which made him smile. He still gets my sense of humor and seems to be ok with me helping him with intimate bodily functions.

Mom asked me again today if Dad has cancer. I always pretend this is the first time we have had this conversation. When I told her he did, that is was serious and that we needed to start making some other arrangements so Dad could stay at home with her she seemed to understand. I think she may have some senility problems or just feel stressed with all that has gone on for both her and Dad regarding their health. She broke my heart when she looked at me and asked "What will I do without him?" I told her that I would be with her every step of the way. She has lived with Dad for 50 years and can't imagine life without him.

1 comment:

suttonhoo said...

*hugs* dear friend.

beautifully, straightforwardly told.

thinking of you all, and holding you close in my heart.