Monday, June 18, 2007

Monday, June 18, 2007

Saw Dad after work today. Made it up to the nursing home in time to feed him the remainder of his dinner. He ate most of everything on his tray...chewing each bite thoroughly. This is something he had done since he has been ill. Once he was finished, I took him back to his room...washed his hands and face and then helped him brush his teeth. The last thing on the list was giving him a shave. Dad has always been fastidious about his personal cleansing routines...so I like to help him do the things he can no longer do...like brush his teeth, comb his hair, shave, etc. After I finished, I noticed that he was rubbing his neck in front. I put some lotion on his neck...the shaver had irritated his skin. His skin is so delicate and thin now...almost like parchment.

The next part of the routine was calling for the aides to help him to the bathroom and get ready for bed. While the aide was walking him to the bathroom I noticed that he can barely walk anymore She was holding him up as he crept across the few feet to the toilet. I stepped outside his room during all of this to give him some privacy. When the aides left I went back in to kiss him goodnight and tell him I love him. I had to make a swift exit because I could feel the tears coming on.

I am glad I went tonight. I love spending time with my Dad. I also had a chance to tell him that we will most likely be transferring him to a nursing home in West Seattle. I told him that Mom was in favor of the move...and that I was working on it this week. He took all of this in and said that it was alright with him.

Each day feels so full of details...and roller coaster emotions. I am tired again tonight...but feel like I am managing to get things taken care of step by step.

No comments: