Friday, June 8, 2007

Friday, June 8, 2007

Up by 6:45am this morning. I called Mom to check in. She had called 911 early in the morning. Dad fell out of bed again at 4:30am. The fire dept. got there in just a few minutes and got Dad settled again in his chair. I told Mom that she had done the right thing. I promised that I would be there in the afternoon then called Mark. He was getting ready to come to my house to work on the basement bathroom, but I asked him to go check in on Mom and Dad.

I went to work...and then got out of there by noon. I called Mom and told her I would buy her some eggs on my way to their apartment. Once I got in the store, I picked up a few extra things for them and then headed out to their apt. Dad was still really cranky and out of it when I got there. While he slept, Mom and I had a little lunch. After lunch I managed to get him to the bathroom and then back to his chair. I fed him a small piece of strawberry rhubarb pie. Also got him to take his pills with some water. He fell back to sleep. I told Mom to get a little sleep herself...she is emotionally and physically exhausted from dealing with Dad. While she slept I cut up cantaloupe and watermelon, fixed their dinner, did the dishes and laundry.

When I was done with all of that, I gave Mom a short microwave lesson. We talked some about Dad's health. She hopes that he doesn't last six months. It seems to me that he is failing more with each passing day. I am not even sure if the hospice care is going to work out at the apt.

Pamela is coming with me tomorrow afternoon after I get off work. We are going to move things around in the apt. to make room for any hospital furniture that is needed. We will also bring their car back to our house to put it up for sale.

I am tired. I still feel like my Dad as I knew him is gone. I watch him getting smaller and weaker each day. I don't want this to be a long miserable existence for him. I am doing all I can to make him more comfortable. I am wondering if some of the moodiness and anger is from going off the oxycodone so quickly. Hopefully it will be out of his system soon.

No comments: