Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Today was a big day...long, tiring...but ultimately productive. After many phone conversations, working with hospice nurses, etc. I got Dad transferred to another nursing home closer to me. It took most of the day, but I think it will be easier for me to spend more time with him. The nursing home is in West Seattle...as opposed to the one he was in...out in Shoreline...about 25 miles away.

I was able to get Dad in the car with the help of one of the aides...Mom was along as well as we had to go to the bank to get funds to pay a deposit on the new home, and pick up the difference not covered by the Medicare hospice benefit at the original home. I thought Dad would sleep on the ride over but he stayed wide awake.

Once we arrived I needed to get another aide to get him into the wheelchair. Once that was accomplished I wheeled Dad in and got directions to his room. I dropped off his paperwork and his meds and then went to make sure he knew what was going on.

After taking Mom home, making dinner, eating and cleaning up I headed back to sit with Dad and try to get some financial information from him for the Medicaid application. Mom is resisting applying for this ...doesn't want to give out their financial information. I explained to her that I am trying to save her from having to use so much of what resources they have. She wasn't being logical about it and I am ashamed to say that I lost my temper with her. She can be so difficult sometimes. I am just going to go ahead and do what I can as I am second in line for power of attorney...I'll see how much info I am able to gather from the various places.

Dad seemed kind of confused today....but still had his moments of being lucid. He was putting his hand in his mouth today while I fed him lunch. I would get him to stop by gently moving the food nearer his mouth and asking him to eat. His appetite remains pretty good. Looking at him sitting up in his new room broke my heart. He is so weak ...so sick...but he is still able to say that he loves me...that makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: