Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I am taking a day "off" today...only working. Got a call from my brother to say that he was getting extra keys to Mom and Dad's complex and apartment made. He also checked in with the onsite manager and told her what is going on with Mom and Dad. He learned that the police and fire departments can get into the building. Nothing in the way of news on whether or not his children will honor Dad's request to see him.

Dad called early this morning just to check in on me. He said he would call back in a few minutes. When that didn't happen, I called him back. It was clear from our conversation that he had no memory of the earlier call. He asked if I was working today...I told him I was. He wished me a good day and we rang off.

I was in the store later shopping for groceries for the special lunch I am making for them tomorrow when my phone rang. Mom was agitated because she did not understand which pill to give my Dad. I explained that it would be the Vicodin. She seemed stressed out and asked me if I was coming out today. It took everything I had to say that I wasn't coming out today. I explained that I needed to go home to cook the lunch I was bringing for tomorrow.

Mom is definitely having a hard time. I am doing everything I can do to make the situation easier for her. I am hoping that the hospice service will help once we get it going.

Every day there is a new bend in the road on this journey. I am learning to expect the unexpected, be ready to go into action at a moment's notice, and be very patient.

No comments: