Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Just returned from taking my aunt and uncle to see my Dad and Mom. Josephine is my father's only sister. Of his whole family, I am closest to her and Leonard. They had as good a visit as could be expected in this situation.

Dad was pretty drugged up when we arrived. He was talking about seeing red bugs on the wall of the bathroom while I was helping wash his hands. He made it to the table with help and ate a good lunch. I had made a casserole, cucumber salad and sliced watermelon. He was more out of it than I have ever seen him. Josephine and I talked about it and I decided to call his oncologist. His nurse called back and we talked over what was happening. She said to take him off the oxycodone completely. It isn't the right drug for him. He still has the vicodin, so he can take that every 4 to 6 hours. Also, no more drugs at all today. I got his oxycodone and took it with me. I also explained the new plan to Mom. I will also have to talk about this with the hospice nurse so they don't put him on the 12 hour time release oxycodone. He just can't tolerate it.

I had just fallen asleep at 10:30pm when the phone rang. Mom called to ask me to come over...Dad had fallen out of the bed. I didn't even dress....just wore my pajamas as I drove across the city. I arrived a litte after 11pm to find Dad laying on the floor fast asleep. Mom had covered him with a blanket and put a pillow under his head. He was really out of it. It took several trys to get him alert enough to be moved. Mom and I managed to get him up and then hoisted him onto the bed. By this time he was in a really bad mood and said that I was hurting him. I tried to ease him over as gently as I could...but it was difficult because his body was so limp. Finally got him where I wanted him and then put pillows on the edge of the bed wedged next to his body...hoping that this would help keep him in the bed. Before I left, I told Mom to call 911 if he fell out of bed again.

Drove back across the city and got home about midnight.

2 comments:

Carol said...

My mom is 87 yr old. She lives with me. I can understand the meds difficulties as we have gone through it also. It never ceases to amaze me how they can have so much information on a person, but miss some simple drug interaction that is just not going to work. One of my mom's meds was changed from a color of blue to white, with no notification from the pharmist. It took two months and a visit to emergency until we finally figured out just what happened! Things can just get so frustrating sometimes! Blessings upon you...

Bonita said...

Thanks for your comment. It helps to know that other folks are going through a similar experience.